NATO force blacklists French journalist at US army’s behest

first_img Afghanistan : “No just and lasting peace in Afghanistan without guarantees for press freedom” News AfghanistanAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information June 2, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders has asked the US ambassador in Afghanistan, William Wood, to intervene on behalf of Claire Billet, a French journalist working for the independent Hamsa Press agency, who was notified by email on 17 May that she has been blacklisted by NATO’s International Security Assistance Force. Last month, she was arrested by private security guards and interrogated by US soldiers in Kabul.”Afghan and foreign journalists are already working in extremely difficult conditions without the international forces adding to their problems,” the press freedom organisation said. “We call on the US ambassador to intervene with the US-led Coalition and ISAF so that Billet can be accredited again.”A staff correspondent with Hamsa Press, Billet has been reporting in Afghanistan since January. Her work has been used by the European TV stations France 24 and Arte.Billet was arrested on 7 April while filming civil vehicles close to the ISAF headquarters in the Shashdarak district of Kabul for a report on security in Kabul that she was preparing for France 24. Those who arrested her were Afghan employees of a privately-owned security company contracted by the US army. They handed her over to US soldiers who interrogated her for four hours. Although she had ISAF accreditation, her footage and accreditation card were confiscated.Hamsa Press founders Emmanuel Razavi and Eric de Lavarène were themselves arrested by the US army in Afghanistan in September 2005 and September 2006. The first time, they were interrogated by CIA officers about their work in the country.Several journalists have told Reporters Without Borders that it is getting more and more difficult to film on the streets of Kabul because they are regarded with suspicion by the ISAF and Coalition troops and Afghan security company employees. Filming is completely banned in certain sectors of Kabul where special security measures are in force. AfghanistanAsia – Pacific RSF_en to go further Organisation Newscenter_img News RSF asks International Criminal Court to investigate murders of journalists in Afghanistan Receive email alerts Follow the news on Afghanistan May 23, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 NATO force blacklists French journalist at US army’s behest May 3, 2021 Find out more News Situation getting more critical for Afghan women journalists, report says March 11, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

CAL RIPKEN AWARDS

first_imgAt the recently held Bayonne Cal Ripken Baseball’s 20th awards ceremony, Joshua Fox was recognized for winning the Jim Burke Memorial Prep League MVP award. Joshua played for the M J Desmond’s team. Anyone with any questions about Cal Ripken Baseball, please contact Mike Miselis at [email protected] or call 201-436-8787 ×last_img

Lucas Oil Stadium prepares for NCAA basketball tournament

first_img By Jon Zimney – February 27, 2021 1 334 Twitter IndianaLocalNewsSports Google+ Lucas Oil Stadium prepares for NCAA basketball tournament Google+ WhatsApp Previous articleReady to pay? Student loan deferments end in OctoberNext articleSouth Bend man arrested on numerous charges after leading troopers on chase Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. (Jon Zimney/95.3 MNC) The football field is covered up inside Lucas Oil Stadium as the venue gets everything in order for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, which is set to be contested throughout central Indiana next month.Lucas Oil Stadium director Eric Neuburger said the stadium is essentially being split in two for first and second-round games.“We’re going to operate like two distinct venues,” he told WISH-TV. “You will see a current that separates the two courts at the 50-yard line, as well as other ways that we separate the concourses.”Neuburger said this will make it easier for Lucas Oil staff members to keep everything clean as they make sure to try and prevent the spread of coronavirus.“The team at Lucas Oil Stadium is thrilled to be hosting this,” he added. Our staff has been waiting a long time to be putting on an event of this scale.”“We have the benefit of having a staff that came over from the Hoosier Dome and RCA Dome before this venue was built. There’s a lot of institutional knowledge of hosting Final Fours in those venues as early as 1991.”Lucas Oil will be allowing fans up to 25% capacity inside for tournament games. The stadium seats just north of 70,000 people.Selection Sunday is Mar. 14 and games will get going in the days that follow. First and second-round games will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium, Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, and Indiana Farmers Coliseum in Indianapolis, as well as Mackey Arena in West Lafayette and Assembly Hall in Bloomington. Facebook Pinterest Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Pinterestlast_img read more