Vermont Secretary of Agriculture Roger Allbee recently joined his counterparts in the Northeast to write USDA Secretary Thomas Vilsack encouraging him to consider the benefits of reinstating the federal support price for cheddar block and barrel cheese and non-fat dry milk back to the levels established by USDA last August. The action was coordinated by New York Commissioner of Agriculture Pat Hooker.“We are writing to add our voice to those you have heard in saying that the current pricing system is outdated, broken and needs to be addressed,” said Secretary Allbee. “In fact the current system devalues fresh, locally produced milk, potentially impacting our food safety.”The price for milk and cheese and non-fat dry milk has been extremely volatile over the last several months and recently has fallen dramatically. This situation is impacting the expected recovery in farm milk prices and will have a devastating impact on farm finances as farmers enter the 2010 planting and growing season.“Increasing the support price for cheddar cheese and non-fat dry milk had a profound and positive impact on the market last year with little cost to government. That same positive impact can again assist our struggling dairy farmers. I appreciate Commissioner Hookers leadership on this request and wholly support it,” said Allbee.Secretary Allbee commended USDA Secretary Vilsack on the attention USDA has taken to support the dairy industry and for visiting Vermont last month to hear straight from dairy farmers what they are experiencing.“While it may be difficult to sort through all the options and come to a consensus within the dairy industry, doing nothing is not an option. If this particular dairy crisis does not move the industry to act, the consequences will be disastrous for our dairy farmers, in fact we are already seeing the ramifications,” commented Allbee. “This action would be one option to ensure a fresh local supply for our consumers and a fair price paid to our farmers who produce it.”The economic impact of Vermont’s dairy industry is over $2 billion per year supporting thousands of jobs and rural communities across the state. Vermont is the largest supplier of milk to the Boston area. Currently, the cost of production of milk is far more than the price paid to farmers for their milk and over 50 operations ceased in 2009 drastically changing our communities and threatening our open, working landscape. Source: VT Dept of Ag. 3.15.2010###
The dashboard will provide a case count for both SUNY campuses and individual schools. Cuomo said the state is taking immediate action to address the potential for the spread of the virus at SUNY schools. This includes information on positive cases, testing, isolation and quarantine spaces, and hospitalizations. The dashboard is meant to more effectively monitor, respond to, and contain the coronavirus on college campuses. NEW YORK (WBNG) — Governor Andrew Cuomo and SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras have announced the launching of a COVID-19 case tracker dashboard for all SUNY schools. “This new dashboard will help students, parents and faculty stay informed with the latest data,” Governor Cuomo said. Officials say this dashboard will provide up to date information on the coronavirus at each of the 64 SUNY schools. Chancellor Malatras said the real time data which the dashboard can provide is crucial to “helping SUNY make quick, smart decisions that contain COVID-19 and protect our campus communities.” Data will be reported by the campuses every 24 hours.
The Magetan regency administration in East Java suspended the repatriation of 38 Malaysian students of Al Fatah pesantren (Islamic boarding school) in Temboro village after they had tested positive for COVID-19.The regency’s COVID-19 task force spokesperson, Saif Muchlissun, said 29 santri (students of an Islamic boarding school) tested positive during rapid testing on Monday, while the other nine tested positive during earlier polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing.”The 29 Malaysian students have to stay here in the village because they have to wait for the PCR test results,” Saif told The Jakarta Post on Monday. The Malaysian Embassy in Jakarta had planned to repatriate more than 150 Malaysian students who initially wanted to stay and spend Ramadan in the village.”Only 124 can leave Temboro as the others have tested positive for the disease,” Saif said, adding they had flown home from Juanda International Airport in Surabaya on Monday evening.Apart from the Malaysians, a student from Thailand also tested positive for COVID-19.Read also: Nearly 100 Malaysians who recently returned from Indonesia test positive for COVID-19As of Monday, Magetan recorded 33 confirmed cases in the regency, 24 of which were linked to the Temboro pesantren. The East Java COVID-19 task force has declared the boarding school a “severe red zone” and put the village under quarantine last week.Al Fatah pesantren houses more than 22,000 students, 2,000 of whom are foreigners, mostly from Southeast Asian countries.The boarding school is also a base for an Islamic group known as Jamaah Tabligh, which has held events in Malaysia, India and South Sulawesi that have been linked to several COVID-19 cases in the respective regions. (kuk) Topics : He added that the other nine Malaysian students confirmed for COVID-19 had to undergo medical treatment for 14 days at a nearby hospital.Rapid testing for COVID-19 is faster and more affordable compared to the PCR, although it is less accurate as it only detects antibodies against the coronavirus in blood samples.Read also: ‘Severe red zone’: East Java scrambles to contain COVID-19 spread at Islamic boarding schoolEarly last week, the task force traced santri who had been in contact with 43 students who had tested positive for COVID-19 in Malaysia upon returning from the Al-Fatah pesantren. Malaysian health authorities declared them a new COVID-19 cluster in the country on April 19.
A deceased multi-millionaire Donegal businessman would not be happy if he could see his children fighting over his €250M estate, a court has been told.The family of the late Donegal Person of the Year, Hugh Green are back in court in New Zealand as part of a long-running courtroom battle between his three adult children over his will. Mr Green left his native Donegal in 1951, aged just 19, and was penniless but went on to build a massive fortune through farming and land deals.He died of cancer in 2012 aged 80 years leaving an estate of $400M (NZD).Now, three Court of Appeal judges in New Zealand have been asked to overturn a finding that Green’s last will, from April 2012, should be set aside because it was made under undue influence of his eldest son, John.If the High Court judgment to set aside the will is allowed to stand, John Green’s sister Maryanne, who worked alongside her father for many years in the family business, would be the only family member still a trustee.Lawyer Mark O’Brien, QC, told the court “If Hugh was looking down on us, he would not be happy.”Attempts had been made to find a solution to the dispute, but nothing had emerged, O’Brien told the court.The president of the Court of Appeal, Justice Stephen Kos, said it would be a great shame if there was no dialogue.Lawyer Harry Waalkens, QC, said there was no quibbling with the High Court judge’s finding that Hugh Green was vulnerable when he made his last will, but the question was the degree to which he was susceptible to influence.His strength of character was a common theme of the evidence, and it beggared belief that he would have allowed anything that did not accord with his own wishes, Waalkens said.O’Brien said the dispute was not about the money for anyone involved.The appeal was brought because the wider family wanted Hugh Green’s wishes respected. He wanted a “fair bit” to go to charity, and for the family to keep the businesses.But he did not want Maryanne to be a trustee if she would not work with siblings John and Frances, O’Brien said.There were potentially 17 beneficiaries of the trusts.Kos said the trusts could be headed for a period of court supervision before being returned to family control when things had settled down.The hearing is expected to take several days.Hugh Green, was born in Raphoe but raised in Letterkenny, where he often returned in his later years to spend summer months.He was awarded the joint Donegal Person of the year in 2012 and often donated to local charities including a donation of €200,000 to Letterkenny General Hospital to have a training academy built there.The courtroom stand-off will undoubtedly have angered the multi-millionaire modern-day Robin Hood who gave much of his money away to charitable including many in Ireland.He had always kept his business affairs private and insisted that the family should stick together.Green was honoured for his contribution to New Zealand society with a Papal Knighthood and also received an honorary degree from University College Galway.In latter years Green would often return to Donegal to spend several weeks there in the summer months and showed no trappings of his huge wealth.He drove an old jeep and would often get his wife Moira to darn his socks and mend his clothes.Deceased millionaire would not be happy about family row over estate was last modified: July 26th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalHugh GreenmillionaireNew Zealand