Marcos Lopes has left Manchester City to join Ligue 1 side Monaco.The 19-year-old is understood to have cost the French club around £9million.City boss Manuel Pellegrini had insisted Lopes would only be leaving City on loan in his press conference on Friday lunchtime, hailing the young midfielder as a top talent.Pellegrini said: “Marcos is still a player here for Manchester City. We will see his future in the next hours.“I think Marcos needs to play more in another club. He is a very good player. I am sure in the future he will be part of our club, but for this year he must continue trying to play as much football as he can.“Here he has a lot of competition with David (Silva) and Samir (Nasri) so it is better for him to go on loan.”But moments after Pellegrini had discussed Lopes’ future, City announced that they had sold the Portugal Under-21 international to Monaco.Lopes was regarded as one of City’s most promising youngsters after joining the club from Benfica in 2011.He made an immediate impact with a goal on his debut – becoming City’s youngest-ever goalscorer at 17 years and nine days – in an FA Cup tie against Watford in January 2013.But had made just five appearances for City in total and, having spent a successful spell on loan at Lille last season, has now been allowed to return to France with Monaco. Marcos Lopes 1
If you don’t ask, you don’t get.Cristiano Ronaldo’s shot clearly hits Darijo Srna on the back, but the Real Madrid forward won a penalty, with the referee believing the ball struck the Shakhtar captain’s hand.It allowed the Bernabeu no.7 to score the resulting spot kick and Ronaldo went on to score two more – his 33rd Real Madrid hat-trick.WATCH RONALDO COMPLETE HIS HAT-TRICK AGAINST SHAKHTARClearly what Cristiano Ronaldo wants, he gets… 1 Cristiano Ronaldo’s shot hits Srna’s back penalty!
Swansea striker Andre Ayew Sunderland are upping their bid to sign Swansea striker Andre Ayew before the January window slams shut next Monday.Sam Allardyce is desperate to bolster his squad for the fight against relegation and sees the Ghana international as the perfect man to lead their great escape.The Black Cats first registered their interest earlier this month, but were swiftly rebuffed with the Swans insisting their summer signing was simply not for sale.Sources on Wearside on Tuesday played down suggestions the club has returned with an offer of £10million, plus Italian striker Fabio Borini.However, it is understood there HAS been further contact over the 26-year-old and that Sunderland still hold a firm interest in Ayew.Although it remains to be seen whether or not the Welsh outfit is prepared to do business with new boss Francesco Guidolin at the helm.Guidolin, a compatriot of Italy striker Borini, oversaw a victory in his first game in charge as the Swans beat Everton 2-1 on Sunday to boost their hopes of avoiding the drop.Former Marseille man Ayew scored the decisive goal in that game, his eighth of the campaign.Borini, who joined the Black Cats for a fee which could eventually rise to £10million from Liverpool last summer, has managed just two this season. 1
Nicky Butt Manchester United have appointed former midfielder Nicky Butt as their new head of academy.The 41-year-old, who had a decorated playing career at Old Trafford over a 12-year period, has earned the position after working as reserve team and under-19s coach for the last four years.Butt was a product of United’s youth system himself and is looking forward to helping create the next generation of stars.“It’s a privilege to take on this role,” Butt, who made 387 United appearances, winning six Premier League titles, three FA Cups and a Champions League, told the club’s official website.“As someone who learned his trade in the United youth set-up, it’s a huge honour now to be given the chance to lead the academy and to instil its values and attitudes to continue to create future generations of Manchester United players.“It’s a big challenge but I am fortunate to be taking over a dedicated, first-class team. Our aim remains the same – to keep supplying the first team with well-coached, rounded players that understand the responsibility of playing for the biggest club in the world.”United have restructured their set-up following the exit of director of youth academy Brian McClair last June and Butt’s appointment comes after Paul McGuiness left his role as under-18s coach after 24 years in the role last week.Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward added: “I am delighted that Nicky has accepted the role of head of academy. Nicky has the traditions and heritage of this club in his blood and he is the natural choice to ensure that, in modernising the way the academy operates and shaping the new investment we are making, it retains the values and the focus that it has always had.“Manchester United’s academy is completely focused on producing young players for our first team. As a graduate of its finest team in the modern era, Nicky will bring passion, energy and experience to drive the academy forward, retaining the characteristics that give us a competitive advantage – namely an unmatched track record of player development together with the runway of first-team action.“In the last four years, some 15 academy graduates have played for the first team, playing a total of 173 appearances – a record of which the club is very proud.” 1
Leroy Sane Barcelona are set to enter a bidding war with Manchester City for Schalke star Leroy Sane.The midfield talent is regarded as one of the hottest prospects in European football, with the German club facing an uphill task to keep hold of him beyond the summer.According to Mundo Deportivo, Barca have scouted the 20-year-old on several occasions this season and are determined to beat their former manager, Pep Guardiola, to the player’s signature.Having watched Sane closely during his time in Germany, Guardiola is keen to bring the playmaker to the Etihad when he takes charge of City next season as he bids to revamp the current squad.Sane is under contract with Schalke until 2019 but has a release clause of £29m.City were favourites to land Sane but now Barca are hot on their tails after sending their technical secretary, Robert Fernandez, to Germany last week to see the player in action against Mainz. 1
When he was confronted following the announcement last month of federal charges against him, Alvarez admitted he never served in the military. “A member of this board has been accused of misrepresenting himself as a United States veteran and a Medal of Honor recipient,” said John Sampson, a military veteran and Pomona resident. “I ask you, Xavier Alvarez, to formally apologize to all veterans of the United States, and to your board members, and to your constituents in a published forum for all to see.” When Sampson approached Alvarez after a break in the meeting, Alvarez took aim at media accounts of the controversy. “I do apologize for what the media wrote. It wasn’t true,” Alvarez told Sampson. “I must have mis-said things. It wasn’t supposed to go that way. Reserve your comments.” Bob Kuhn, president of the Three Valleys board of directors, said during the meeting the board would respond to issues surrounding Alvarez in the future. “This board will deal with it very, very seriously when the time is proper,” Kuhn said. “Right now I apologize, but if there’s an issue that needs to be taken up with the court it will be taken up with the court, and we’ll deal with the issue when we have to.” Alvarez is scheduled to be arraigned in a federal court in Los Angeles on Nov. 26, said Thom Mrozek, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office. [email protected] (909) 483-8553160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.During his remarks, Frost pinned to his shirt a Bronze Star that he earned in 1969. “This is the first day it’s ever been outside my home,” Frost said. “This is the first day it’s even been outside its presentation case.” Alvarez was charged by federal authorities last month with falsely claiming he won the Medal of Honor, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison. Alvarez said during the July meeting that he retired from military service in 2001 after 25 years in the Marines. “Back in 1987 I was awarded a Congressional Medal of Honor,” he said. CLAREMONT – Veterans at a public meeting Wednesday sharply criticized the water board member charged with falsely claiming he was awarded the Medal of Honor. Xavier Alvarez, Pomona’s representative on the Three Valleys Municipal Water District board of directors, sat silently as three veterans criticized him for claims he made at the July 23 meeting of the Walnut Valley Water District at which he was a guest. “I’m embarrassed for Three Valleys MWD,” said Jim Frost, former mayor and current resident of Rancho Cucamonga. “I’m embarrassed for its professional staff, and I’m embarrassed for other members of its elected board. “And I’m especially embarrassed for any voters who placed Mr. Alvarez in office in the belief that he is of honorable character.”
ENCINO – Caltrans crews cleared dirt and rocks that spilled onto two lanes of the Ventura (101) Freeway this morning, causing a motorist’s morning commute headache. Someone called the CHP to report the spill just before 8 a.m. in the lanes closest to the shoulder of the westbound 101 Freeway near Balboa Boulevard. The lanes were shut down and the commuters were backed up for about a quarter mile, said CHP Officer Francisco Villalobos. The dirt spilled out of a box truck with a number of 146. Villalobos did not know whether the truck driver or a witness called in the spill. The lanes reopened before 10 a.m. For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 Barnsley have landed former West Ham midfielder George Moncur after agreeing a fee with Colchester United.The 22-year-old was in high demand this summer after 14 goals for the League One Essex club last term.But it is Barnsley – who he scored two against last season – who have won the race to sign him.Moncur, son of former West Ham man John, started his career with the Hammers but left having made just two senior appearances.He joined Colchester permanently in August 2014 and leaves the club having made 86 league appearances. George Moncur in action for Colchester
The letter states that Time Warner will reimburse the city for half of its cost to defend the lawsuit, to a cap of $12,500. And the city, in turn, will temporarily suspend the fines during discussions and withdraw them if an agreement is reached. The letter also says Time Warner could refile its case if both sides are unable to resolve their differences. Time Warner spokeswoman Patti Rockenwagner said in a statement Thursday the company is “pleased with the progress we’ve made in working with the city of Redondo Beach” and “committed to providing our customers with excellent customer service.” [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champAfter an appeal to the City Council was ruled out by city staff, Time Warner took the issue to Los Angeles Superior Court, where both sides were scheduled to appear Thursday. But days earlier, Time Warner had agreed to withdraw the suit so both sides could work out a firm settlement. “We worked real hard in the days before we were supposed to be in court to come up with some sort of a framework to resolve those differences,” City Manager Bill Workman said. “Both Time Warner and the city believe customer service is the highest priority.” According to the Dec. 18 letter signed by Workman and Ron Boyer, a Time Warner network engineer, the company has agreed to turn over regular customer service reports and establish a process in which it shares financial information. The city of Redondo Beach and its cable provider have agreed to try to resolve a legal dispute over tens of thousands of dollars in unpaid fines. The city billed Time Warner Cable for roughly $61,000 in damages this year after concluding the company failed to meet customer service mandates. Since Redondo transferred its franchise in 2006 from Adelphia Communications to Time Warner, city officials said the company skipped submitting monthly records on call volumes and wait times. When officials released the data last month, it showed Time Warner repeatedly fell short of a mandate that 90 percent of the calls are answered within a 30-second time frame.