EcoBank-Liberia Supports Love A Child Orphanage

first_imgMr. Asante cuts the ribbon to the newly constructed dining hall.On the occasion marking this year’s “Ecobank Day,” employees and management of Ecobank-Liberia on Saturday, November 24, put smiles on the faces of children at Love A Child Orphanage, located in Rehab, Paynesville, outside Monrovia, when they donated 15 new bunk beds and 50 mattresses to the Orphanage administration.“Ecobank Day” is a day set aside every year across all 33 locations of the bank in Africa to “give back to society.”Employees of the bank volunteered their time to work with locals and support the financial contribution the bank made to improve the lives of “vulnerable members” of communities in which they operate.Activities of this year’s “EcoBank Day” was under the theme, “Supporting Young Lives.”George Mensah-Asante, Ecobank-Liberia Managing Director, who led a team of dedicated employees, donated the items to Love A Child Orphanage administration.Asante said besides the mattresses and bunk beds, Ecobank-Liberia also constructed for the orphans a fully electrified dining hall with chairs and tables.He added, “We chose this project to buttress the effort made by Mother Rebecca B. Wreh, who had the vision many years ago to cater to less fortunate and homeless children in society.”Following an assessment visit of the Home by members of Ecobank Day Committee, Asante said the management selected to demolish the make-shift structure dining hall that was previously being used by the orphans, and then construct a new concrete structure.Mr. Asante commended Mother Wreh and her entire team for the initiative to cater to the orphans and also for the tireless effort to ensure that the needs of the children are met.“We the Ecobankers believe that one must not cater to their needs alone, and it was for this reason that we choose to mark our sixth Ecobank Day today,” Mr. Asante said.He said that many Ecobankers have given up their time to be at the Love A Child Orphanage to support the activities.Mr. Asante with the children along with Ecobank staff, after presenting the donated items.“While our strategic focus is very much positively reshaping the African banking landscape, and servicing our customers with cost effective and convenient financial products, we also deeply care about people in our local communities,” Asante said.He continued, “I am sure you will agree with me that this shows how strongly we all feel about giving back to our local communities. It makes me very proud of both Banks I represent, and the lifeblood — our staff.”According to Asante, lots of children rights and well-being are jeopardized and many developed negative survival strategic such as stealing, fighting and engaging in unsavory activities that no child should be exposed to because of their young age, many orphans are unable to find steady income.The bank, he said, saw the intervention as important, because Africa had over a third of the world’s orphans, a phenomenon that rendered them vulnerable.With tears steaming down her cheeks, Mother Rebecca B. Wreh, thanked Ecobank for the support, saying the donation will go a long way to meet the needs of the children in such a difficult time.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Police working to bring down “criminal network” in Berbice

first_img…shot bandits found with freshly cooked food – sourceLaw enforcement officials in Regions Five (Mahaica-Berbice) and Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) are inve“B” Division Police Commander Paul LangevineDead: Ramnarine JagmohanDead: Pix saved as Kelvin Shivgobin called “Kelly”stigating what has been reported as a “criminal network” in the county of Berbice.This is according to Commander of “B” Division, Paul Langevine, who told Guyana Times on Monday that the recent deaths of three bandits during a shootout with Police suggest that there is a networking system.He explained that while this incident can help residents breathe sighs of relief, they must still be alert, since some of the recent gun-related robberies were reported to have more than three persons involved.Commander Langevine said the success of the Police on Sunday was due to intelligence gathering.“It all happened that way because of the intelligence information mainly. We got the information, we checked it out and confirmed that. We worked on it, and that’s what led to the incident where the three suspects were shot and killed after they engaged in a shootout with our ranks,” Langevine said.He added that the SWAT team was not in that area at that time.The Guyana Police Force reported that, on Sunday, ranks under the command of a senior officer ventured into the Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder area after receiving reports that “strange persons” were seen in those backlands. As the team approached the area, they came under rapid gunfire. This led to a return of fire, and the exchange lasted for about five minutes and resulted in the deaths of the three men.Three haversacks containing jewellery, two bullet proof vests, five cellular phones, a solar charger, torch lights, a crowbar, knife, cutlass, flash drive, duct tape, gloves, toques, a mask, tights with “eye holes”, 200 grams of cannabis, and $609,330 along with two foreign currency notes were found.Also, near the bodies of the dead men, the Police discovered a pistol, two revolvers, a rifle, three magazines, 253 rounds of live ammunition and seven spent shells.With regard to where the trio would have sourced the bullet proof vests and rifle from, Commander Langevine noted that it is too soon to conclude, but investigations into the matter are underway.“We are not certain as to where they would have gotten them from. We collected two vests, but we don’t know if they are Police vests or not, but we are investigating. We will also check the firearms to see where they originated from as well. But for now it is too soon, and the work for us starts now,” he declared.In relation to the jewellery and other items discovered in the haversacks, Langevine noted that the robbery victims can visit the Police station(s) to claim their properties, but they would have to be able to “properly identify them.”Men being assistedMeanwhile, a senior Police source told this newspaper that it appears as though the three dead suspects were being assisted in their attempts to evade the Police.“You know, when the ranks got there, they also discovered fresh food there. It was warm…someone cooked chowmein; so it appears as if they were getting food,” the source added.The three men, who were believed to be the executioners of the daring robberies on the Corentyne over the past weeks, were on Sunday afternoon shot dead during an exchange of gunfire in the backdam of Johanna, Black Bush Polder, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne).The three men have been identified as: wanted murder suspect 32-year-old Kelvin Shivgobin, called “Kelly”; acquitted murder accused Ramnarine Jagmohan; and Sewchand Sewdat, called One Eye Pappy, all of Belvedere Village, Corentyne, Berbice.Bandits have been reigning terror on residents of Berbice for months now, and have been successfully evading law enforcement officials. (Kristen Macklingam)last_img read more

Council treated to Site-C update

first_imgConway says the crown corporation is now moving into stage three of the Site-C dam process, with the Environmental Assessment process to begin in early 2011. He says stage three meetings will begin this June, and B.C. Hydro is planning ongoing public and stakeholder consultations.He also says 42 properties would be affected by the flooding and realignment of Highway 29, 81% of which are owned by the crown, 12% by B.C. Hydro, and 7% by private landowners.Conway also addressed a question posed by Mayor Bruce Lantz, essentially asking why the dam needs to be built here, and why a hydro-electric dam is the best choice, as opposed to tidal power. Conway says in terms of location, B.C. has had a ‘two-river policy’ (the Peace and the Columbia) dating back to the 1950’s, which no government has challenged. As regards other power sources, Conway says tidal power is simply too expensive to cover B.C.’s needs. He added that B.C. Hydro may soon change all power meters in the province to ‘smart meters,’ which would be able to show customers how much power they are using and when. ‘Smart Meters’ would also allow Hydro to move to ‘time of day rates,’ which would charge customers more for power used during peak hours, and less for power used off-peak.The entire B.C. Hydro report, ‘Stage 2 Report: Consultation and Technical Review’, along with 35 appended studies and reports, is available at: www.bchydro.com/sitec.Advertisement By Jon Zacks The Site-C dam wouldn’t cover British Columbia’s power deficit.- Advertisement -At Tuesday’s regular council meeting, representatives from B.C. Hydro presented council with an update on the findings from stage two of the Site-C dam project, along with a preview of what’s to come in stage three.Dave Conway and Siobhan Jackson began by telling council the project would produce around 4,600 gigawatt hours of electricity each year, which is enough to power roughly 410,000 homes. Conway says the project would generate roughly 1/3 of the electricity produced by the WAC Bennett Dam, but at 1/10 of the environmental impact. In fact, Jackson says that Site-C would create about 11 tonnes of CO2 equivalent emissions per GW/hr, which she says is comparable to other renewable resources, including wind power.However, Conway stated that B.C. Hydro’s current generating capacity isn’t enough to power the province during peak capacity times, especially during the winter. He says B.C. Hydro actually trades power with the U.S. on a daily basis, importing power at peak times, and exporting it when there is a surplus. But, because the power purchased at peak hours is more expensive, he admits the province is ‘buying high’ and ‘selling low.’While the $5 – 6.6 billion project wouldn’t be enough to make up for the province’s power deficit, Conway says it, along with conservation (particularly at peak hours), could help make energy cheaper and more reliable for all British Columbians.Advertisementlast_img read more

Jackets all over the Kings

first_imgCOLUMBUS, Ohio – Just when the Kings seemed to have an advantage, they found a way to give it back. David Vyborny scored twice – including a power-play goal with 21.4seconds left in overtime – to rally the Columbus Blue Jackets to a 3-2 victory over the Kings on Wednesday. The Kings, had a 4-on-3 power-play opportunity with 2:39 left in overtime after the Blue Jackets’ Sergei Federov was called for high sticking Dustin Brown. But 41 seconds later, Alexander Frolov took a slashing penalty, which eventually gave Columbus a power play the rest of the way. , who dropped their third straight Garon thought Hainsey was going to take the shot. “They had time to set up 4 on 3,” he said. “I was expecting a shot from Hainsey at the point and he passed. So it caught me by surprise.” The victory was the Blue Jackets’ third in a row. Kevin Dallman scored his first goal in almost a year for the Kings, and Jamie Heward added a power-play goal. The Kings came back with two goals in the second period. Dallman scored his first goal in 51 games when his wrister from the left wing slipped by Norrena. Dallman hadn’t scored since April 8, 2006. center_img Just 10 seconds after Platt went to the penalty box for hooking, the Kings took the lead. Michael Cammalleri skated toward the net along the goal line and slipped a pass under the stick of Hainsey for a one-timer by Heward for his fifth of the season. “Frolov has to be smarter than that,” Kings coach Marc Crawford said. “I’m not going to bench him or anything like that. He’s one of our best players, if not our best player, but those are hopefully the type of lessons we learn. You want to make intelligent decisions in overtime: don’t slash a guy’s stick on a 4-on-3.” In overtime, the Blue Jackets were on the power play when Ron Hainsey skated to the top of the left circle and passed across the ice to Vyborny on the right wing. Vyborny’s quick snapper beat Kings goalie Mathieu Garon inside the near post. Geoff The Blue Jackets trailed 2-1 but earned their fifth victory after being down through two periods. Vyborny’s 15th goal tied it 2-2 at 5:02 of the third period when he had an open net in front of him after two Kings and Columbus’ Gilbert Brule bowled over Garon. Platt scored his first NHL goal and added an assist, giving him four points in two games. Vyborny assisted on Platt’s goal. Rick Nash came down the right wing and traded passes with Vyborny in the middle. Nash sent a centering pass to Platt, who was upended and flew through the air as he tipped the pass into the net. Anze Kopitar missed his third game for the Kings because of a strained muscle in his upper body. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Batoto ba Mungu sign Rwandese midfielder

first_img“He is a very good addition to the team because he can play virtually anywhere across the midfield. He has very good attacking play and I think he will be helpful for us in that number 10 role,” Sofapaka head coach John Baraza said.Baraza believes that the addition of four new players into the squad will inject some much needed competition and the team will now be able to fully compete for the KPL crown with Gor Mahia as well as challenge for their fourth Shield title.“I think we now have a very good team because looking at all departments, there is nowhere we are short. People should now start looking at us very seriously and we will not be easy to beat in the second leg,” the tactician further added.-Tusker sign GateriDavid Gateri after being unveiled as a Tusker FC player. PHOTO/Tusker FCMeanwhile, Robert Matano has continued with his revamp mission at Tusker FC with the acquisition of utility left footer David Gateri.The former Kenyan international has had unsuccessful stints at Bandari and Nakumatt and will be looking to resuscitate his career with the brewers.Matano has already brought on board Faraj Ominde from Chemelil Sugar and goalkeepers Patrick Matasi from Posta Rangers and Robert Mboya from Mathare United as he looks to lift the side from a poor campaign.Elsewhere, AFC Leopards who on Thursday signed Nigerian striker Alex Orotomal from Rwandese Premier League side Sunrise FC. This follows the acquisition of Saad Musa, Said Tsuma and Eugene Mukangula from Thika United.Head coach John Baraza believes with the four additions, the club will now be in place to challenge for at least one trophy and has warned they will be a tough team to beat in the second leg.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Rwandese Midfielder Justin Mico in action for Police during a past league match. PHOTO/Rwanda TimesNAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 29- Three-time Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Shield champions Sofapaka have completed the signing of attacking midfielder Justin Mico on a three year deal from Rwandese Premier League side Police FC.Mico becomes Sofapaka’s fourth signing of the mid-season transfer window with the club having already signed Piston Mutamba from Wazito FC, Dennis Odhiambo from Thika United and Wycliffe Kasaya from Mathare.last_img read more