LAS VEGAS, Nev. – The new CEO of Las Vegas-based Wynn Resorts said he was not aware of any of the sexual misconduct accusations against casino mogul Steve Wynn before they surfaced last month.Matt Maddox, who was appointed CEO on Feb. 6 after Wynn resigned, said in an interview Monday that people should “hold off making any judgment until the investigations into the accusations are complete.”Wynn Resorts is facing scrutiny by gambling regulators in Nevada and Massachusetts, where the company is building a roughly $2.4 billion casino just outside Boston. Regulators in Macau, the Chinese enclave where the company operates two casinos, also are inquiring about the accusations.Wynn has vehemently denied the misconduct accusations and attributed them to a campaign led by his ex-wife. An attorney for Elaine Wynn has denied that she instigated a report in the Wall Street Journal detailing the allegations.The newspaper reported last month that a number of women said Steve Wynn harassed or assaulted them and that one case led to a $7.5 million settlement.Wynn Resorts has created a committee to investigate the allegations and review the company’s internal policies and procedures to ensure a “safe and respectful workplace for all employees.”Maddox, who does not sit on the board of directors, said he would leave it up to lawyers and investigators to decide whether the findings of the investigation should be made public.Many describe Wynn as the father of modern-day Las Vegas, and by the company’s own admission, his knowledge was crucial for its success. So much so, the company recently told regulators that the “business may be significantly impaired” if it lost Wynn’s services.But Maddox said Wynn Resorts is positioned to move forward without its founder and develop a number of projects in part because two longtime executives responsible for design and architecture remain with the company. He also is putting together an “innovation advisory team” to provide input.“The idea is that our future projects are going to continue to be leading in innovation and creativity,” Maddox told The Associated Press at the employee dining hall of the Wynn Las Vegas casino-resort. “We are continuing to move forward as fast as we can.”The company closed its golf course in Las Vegas last year as a step toward the development of a lake and hotel project called Paradise Park. Last month, it bought a 38-acre site along the Las Vegas Strip that Wynn, before resigning, said would be developed into a roughly 2,000-room hotel.Maddox said the company will pursue both projects and the possibility of obtaining a license for a casino in Japan, where lawmakers approved a long-awaited law late last year on “integrated resorts,” the first major hurdle in allowing casinos to open. Further legislation is expected to take several more years.Maddox, 42, is one of Wynn Resorts’ first employees. He joined the company when Wynn founded it in 2002, two years after the mogul sold the business that built the Bellagio, Mirage and Treasure Island resorts.Initially, he spent the majority of his time raising the money to build the Wynn Las Vegas casino-resort. He later worked in Macau before returning to Sin City in 2006. He led the company through the Great Recession as the chief financial officer and became its president in 2013.Maddox said the company’s board of directors had been developing a succession plan for roughly four years, and Wynn’s resignation simply accelerated its implementation.“They, along with Steve, decided to make me the president of Wynn Resorts with the idea that eventually, assuming things continue to work well, I would become the CEO,” he said.He said the company will keep its name and logo, which is Wynn’s signature.“Wynn is about the 25,000 people who work here,” he said. “The name stands for quality. It stands for service. And it’s something that all of these 25,000 people look up to.”Maddox defended the company as gender inclusive, citing that 40 per cent of management are women, but wants the number to increase. He has established a new leadership initiative with an immediate goal of looking at gender inequality and instituted a six-week paid parental leave policy and merit-based scholarship fund.“I’m going around in the town halls explaining not only is the company stable, it’s strong. So, all of you are safe,” he said. “We are going to keep executing what we do. And I’m pointing out at each town hall that this is a zero-tolerance company.”___Follow Regina Garcia Cano on Twitter at https://twitter.com/reginagarciakNO .
LUXOR, Egypt – Two colossal statues of pharaoh Amenhotep III were unveiled by archaeologists on Sunday in Egypt’s famed temple city of Luxor, adding to an existing pair of world-renowned tourist attractions.The two monoliths in red quartzite were raised at what European and Egyptian archaeologists said were their original sites in the funerary temple of the king, on the west bank of the Nile.The temple is already famous for its existing 3,400-year-old Memnon colossi — twin statues of Amenhotep III whose reign archaeologists say marked the political and cultural zenith of ancient Egyptian civilisation. “The world until now knew two Memnon colossi, but from today it will know four colossi of Amenhotep III,” said archaeologist Hourig Sourouzian, who heads the project to conserve the Amenhotep III temple.The existing two statues, both showing the pharaoh seated, are known across the globe.The two restored additions have weathered severe damage for centuries, Sourouzian said.“The statues had lain in pieces for centuries in the fields, damaged by destructive forces of nature like earthquake, and later by irrigation water, salt, encroachment and vandalism,” she said.One of the “new” statues — its body weighing 250 tonnes — again depicts the pharaoh seated, hands resting on his knees.It is 11.5 metres (38 feet) tall, with a base 1.5 metres high and 3.6 metres wide. Archaeologists said with its now missing double crown, the original statue would have reached a height of 13.5 metres and weighed 450 tonnes.The king is depicted wearing a royal pleated kilt held at the waist by a large belt decorated with zigzag lines.Well-preserved alabaster head Beside his right leg stands nearly a complete figure of Amenhotep III’s wife Tiye, wearing a large wig and a long tight-fitting dress.A statue of queen mother Mutemwya, originally beside his left leg, is missing, archaeologists said.The throne itself is decorated on each side with scenes from that era, showing the unification of Upper and Lower Egypt.The second statue, of Amenhotep III standing, has been installed at the north gate of the temple.The archaeologists also showed several other ancient pieces of what they said were parts of other statues of the ancient ruler and his relatives, including a well-preserved alabaster head from another Amenhotep III statue.“This piece is unique, it is rare, because there are not many alabaster statues in the world,” Sourouzian told AFP.The head, shown briefly to some reporters and fellow excavators, has also weathered centuries of damage.Its nose, eyes and ears are intact, and some signs of restoration centuries ago are clearly evident, archaeologists said.Close to the head lies a statue of princess Iset, Amenhotep III’s daughter.The pharaoh inherited an empire that spanned from the Euphrates to Sudan, archaeologists say, and he was able to maintain Egypt’s position mainly through diplomacy.The 18th dynasty ruler became king at the age of around 12, with his mother as regent.Amenhotep III died in around 1354 BC and was succeeded by his son Amenhotep IV, widely known as Akhenaten.Luxor, a city of some 500,000 people on the banks of the Nile in southern Egypt, is an open-air museum of intricate temples and pharaonic tombs.
Paris Saint-Germain remain locked in talks with defender Jerome Boateng over a summer move but they are yet to make contact with Bayern Munich to discuss a sale, says CEO Karl-Heinz RummeniggeBoateng is understood to be considering his future at the Allianz Arena this summer and has previously stated his desire to try out new challenges in his playing career, before it’s too late.Just last week Bayern CEO Rummenigge announced that the German’s representatives were in discussions with PSG over a move this summer and he has provided an update following the club’s 3-2 defeat to Manchester City in the International Champions Cup.“There has been no contact with PSG,” he said, as quoted by ESPN.“Neither has a fee or anything monetary been discussed.”“I know that Jerome’s agents are in contact with Paris — a final decision has yet to be made, though.”The 62-year-old further elaborated on his comments from last week regarding Boateng’s talks with PSG.Match Preview: RB Leipzig vs Bayern Munich Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 RB Leipzig will have the chance to prove their title-winning capabilities when they host Bayern Munich today at 18:30 (CET).“At the moment there is no direct contact between the clubs,” said Rummenigge.“However, I think there is contact between his agents and PSG.“Now, we have to wait and see whether, at the end of the day, we can find a basis on which we can agree on a transfer.“We have to find a transfer fee that would be acceptable for both. In principle, we have enough players at this position, even if Jerome leaves.”Boateng has made a total of 258 appearances in all competitions in his seven seasons at Munich and is contracted at the club until 2021.
Dump fire burning, deliberate act says Minister No arrests likely for landfill fire, says Minister Recommended for you Related Items:#FireIce, #JubileeGardensfire, #magneticmedianews, #NassauDumpFire Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, March 20, 2017 – Nassau – Two weeks later and that dump fire in Jubilee Gardens is still burning – a persistent situation and Minister of Environment, Kenred Dorsett gave the update that it is 90% contained. It was said by the Minister that the 10% still burning is causing enough smoke to keep residents out of the subdivision for a little while longer says officials.Gel Tech Solutions has left, but they have also left their FireIce product for ground use. Fletcher Air has been kept on to conduct more air drops of the product as the Minister has forecast that it will be another week before repopulation of Jubilee is encouraged. It was explained that Environmental Health has a plan to assist with the transition back home for the hundreds of residents and that another fire in Carmichael Road is demanding EHDs support of the Fire Department as well.As for where waste and garbage is going while the landfill is being extinguished; Senior Deputy Director, Thomasina Wilson said to media that residential waste is going to the original landfill and that commercial and industrial waste is being taken to Spikenard Road where hurricane debris is usually stored.#MagneticMediaNews#JubileeGardensfire#FireIce#NassauDumpfire Air quality diminished, Acquinas monitoring
Share Juan Lozano/APIn this Wednesday, April 10, 2019, photo Mylinda Byrd Washington, 66, right, and Louvon Byrd Harris, 61, hold up photographs of their brother James Byrd Jr. in Houston. James Byrd Jr. was the victim of what is considered to be one of the most gruesome hate crime murders in recent Texas history.John William King is scheduled for execution Apr. 24 in Huntsville. He’s convicted of a murder that many have called a modern-day lynching.In the early hours of June 7, 1998, King, along with co-conspirators Lawrence Brewer and Shawn Berry, picked up James Byrd, Jr. while he was walking home in Jasper. The trio chained Byrd behind Berry’s 1982 pickup and dragged him three miles down a county road, dismembering and killing him. They dumped much of his body in front of an African-American church for parishioners to find on their way to Sunday services.The crime inflamed racial tensions in east Texas. The Ku Klux Klan and Black Panthers came to town soon afterward.“Blacks and whites were both afraid to be out in the street,” said Ricardo Ainslie, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin who researches ethnic conflict. He wrote a book about Byrd’s murder.Byrd’s death reverberated across the country. Texas passed the James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Act in 2001, and a federal statute bearing his name passed in 2009.Juan Lozano/APThis Friday, April 12, 2019 photo shows the gravesite of James Byrd Jr. in Jasper, Texas. Byrd was killed on June 7, 1998, after he was chained to the back of a pickup truck and dragged for nearly three miles along a secluded road in the piney woods outside Jasper in what is considered one of the most gruesome hate crime murders in recent Texas history. In front of Byrd’s gravesite, which was surrounded by a fence after being twice desecrated, sit the burial plots for his mother and father. Byrd’s mother, Stella, died in 2010, while his father, James Sr., is still alive and resides in Jasper.Since Brewer was executed in 2011 and Berry is serving life in prison, Ainslie says King’s execution will close the final chapter in the saga.“It’ll bring back this experience in some ways, but then, hopefully the community will be able to move forward,” Ainslie said.According to the Beaumont Enterprise, if King decides to be buried in Jasper, his body will lie only about 100 yards from the body of Byrd.King will be the third inmate executed in Texas this year.Byrd’s mother, Stella, previously spoke with Houston Public Media’s Ernie Manouse about her fight to get hate crime legislation passed in Texas and the spotlight that was put on her and her family in the wake of the heinous act. You can watch the full interview, below:
The conclusion of CRY’s forty day long photo journalism campaign – Click Rights – Focus on the Child, was marked by an exhibition in the Capital. The exhibition displayed photographs illustrating the reasons that keep so many Indian children out of school. These photographs have been contributed by concerned citizens across the country as well as some of India’s finest photographers. The campaign is an outcome of the belief that a powerful visual can convey the situation far better than words and can inspire large scale social change. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Eminent photographers who contributed their work to the campaign include Raghu Rai, Neeraj Priyadarshi, Sudharak Olwe, Amit Pasricha, Dinesh Khanna, Fawzan Hussain, Prashant Panjiar, Vicky Roy, Altaf Quadri, Kaushal Parekh, Mexy Xavier, Ram Rehman and Himanshu Panchal to name a few.CRY will share the photographs collected as evidence with local and national government bodies to demand every child’s right to education. The Click Rights dossier will be shared with the HRD ministry in the month of October. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixSpeaking about the campaign, Soha Moitra, Regional Director- North, CRY said, ‘Our aim was to raise public awareness about critical issues confronting children in India today by using photography as a medium.’The month long campaign witnessed a series of workshops and panel discussions on Photography for social change by eminent photographers like Raghu Rai. With a focus on the youth our campaign partners ranged from students’ groups from reputed academic institutions like IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi, Institute of Home Economics, Delhi and IIM Calcutta. Corporates like HCL Technologies Foundation, MTS, HP, Mu Sigma and Mphasis and Photography Clubs like Nazar Foundation, National Academy of Photography and Photopeer supported the campaign as partners.
Kolkata: The West Bengal Housing and Infrastructure Development Corporation (HIDCO) recently reduced the charge for stay at Snehodiya — an abode for senior citizens at New Town.A single bedroom will be available at a cost of Rs 9.3 lakhs and the monthly fees amount is around Rs 24,900. Earlier, the rate was Rs 25 lakhs. This would include all meals, common services, electricity bills, housekeeping and general medical facilities. For the best double room in premium floors (9th and 10th) one needs to pay Rs 17.50 lakhs and amount of monthly fees for two persons is Rs 41, 090. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataThe possession of apartments in Snehodiya will be handed over after the elections. The allotment will be done strictly on the basis of lottery. Snehodiya will have all modern facilities such as wi-fi, CCTV, facilities for video-calling and a panic button, which has been installed by Webel. There will be a medical team to look after the elderly and 24X7 emergency medical services will be available. “There is no need to put on the washing machine every day, no need to dust and clean the apartment, no need to pay bills or think about changing defunct fittings. Everything will be taken care of at Snehodiya,” a Hidco official said. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateThe habitat for senior citizens has 57 double bedrooms and 90 single bedrooms. It has been decided that 75 percent of the price paid on entry will be refunded to the occupants or their heirs in case of vacancy. It was Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee who had given the name Snehodiya. The project by Hidco is a first-of-its-kind venture by any state government agency. Mackintosh Burn has constructed the building located just opposite Swapno Bhor— the citizen’s park. Swapno Bhor stands on a 3.5 acre land and has a two-storied building housing a library, an auditorium and a coffee corner.