Syracuse awaits NCAA tournament fate after 4-1 ACC tournament loss to Duke

first_imgSyracuse entered Thursday’s ACC tournament first-round matchup against Duke likely needing a victory to continue its season. Last time the conference foes met, Duke won at J.S. Coyne Stadium. SU failed to record a shot that day for the first time in 13 years.  Within five minutes on Thursday afternoon, Duke scored, and the Orange never recovered. No. 3 Duke (15-4, 5-1 Atlantic Coast) scored two goals in the opening nine minutes, defeating No. 17 Syracuse (8-8, 1-5), 4-1, to advance to the ACC semifinals. Before the game, Syracuse’s seniors, Jamie Martin, Caroline Cady and Roos Weers all stressed the implications of this game in Chapel Hill. All three agreed that a win against Duke, a team safely in the NCAA field, would give them a good chance at the NCAA tournament.All three also agreed that a loss likely meant that Thursday’s game would be the final one of their careers. AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“We need to focus on getting one more,” Martin said Tuesday. “If we lose Thursday, I think we’re done.”Less than five minutes into the game, Duke’s Caroline Andretta corralled a pass from Erin Scherrer and finished her 12th goal of the season. Scherrer added a goal herself five minutes later to double the Blue Devils’ lead.Duke continued its barrage of shots on goalie Borg van der Velde, until eventually, a third goal came. Sixteen minutes into the second half, Haley Schleicher converted a penalty stroke from a foul right in front of the SU goal.Weers scored a goal of her own from the penalty spot eight minutes later but it was merely a consolation score. On Duke’s 21st and final shot of the game, Rose Tynan capped off the four-goal outburst. The loss means that SU has now conceded at least three goals in its last four games.  Syracuse is now forced to wait. Sunday night at 10 p.m., the NCAA tournament bracket will be revealed. It’s an 18-team field, with 10 automatic qualifiers. SU will have to hope it’s one of the eight at-large teams. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 1, 2018 at 4:26 pm Contact Anthony: amdabbun@syr.edulast_img read more

Commercials well aware of challenge posed by London champions

first_imgFollowing their historic Munster final victory over Nemo Rangers last month the Tipp champions face a trip to London this weekend.Charlie McGeever’s side will take on the London champions in Ruislip on Saturday afternoon.Commercials PRO Ned Brophy says they will be treating the opposition with respect. Having watched the London final on TV he says the standard was quite high.Tipp FM will have regular live updates from Saturday’s game which throws-in at 1.30.last_img

Trinidadian elder attacked with boiling water during robbery

first_imgA 66-year-old Trinidadian man was doused with boiling water in a robbery that occurred in his home in La Romaine Tuesday morning.Around 7 a.m., two men entered the home of the elderly man and his 66-year-old wife, they tied the couple’s hands and feet then proceeded to demand the location of the couple’s cash and valuables.After taking the couple’s cellphones valued at $500 and $300, the men demanded more valuables and cash.According to reports, a pot of boiling water in which the couple was using to boil peas was taken from the stove top and dumped on the elderly man.The men fled the home of the couple with both cellphones and $500.The couple remained tied for an hour until a visiting relative found them and alerted the police.San Fernando CID and Southern Division Task Force responded to the call and are currently investigating.The elderly man was taken to the San Fernando General Hospital to be treated for burns on his back and head.This is the second home robbery of the elderly to occur within San Fernando’s jurisdiction this year.In February, an elderly couple in San Fernando was also tied up and robbed at gun point in their home at Retrench Village.Two men robbed the victims after they bound their hands and feet with telephone cords and taped their mouths, robbing them of cash and valuables totaling $8,000.The couple took two hours to untie themselves and alerted police, but no arrests were made in that incident.last_img read more